As November continues its rapid race toward December, NaNo has finished its third week, which means there are many new stories out there at about the 35,000+ word mark.
That’s awesome! It also means that there are only about 15,000 more words to go to reach the magic 50,000 end-of-month goal.
I love this part in the process (when I haven’t spent the last week or so staring at a blank screen). After the excitement of the first week and the slowdown of the second, there tends to be a marked change in my writing once I’ve gotten over that 30,000 word point. After that, for better or worse, the story seems to gain momentum and race forward on its own.
The first act of my story ended at around 28,000 words, so I won’t have a completed book at the 50,000 word mark, and what I will have is going to need some definite work (seriously, you can probably see the plot-holes from space), but I’ll have made a real start at getting this story out of my head and on to the page, so that’s a good thing. Continue reading
Critical NaNoWriMo writing supplies (note they are all still unopened)
So it’s down to the last week or so in the annual writing extravaganza known as NaNoWiMo and things are not looking good here in the Fortress of Writing.
I had high hopes for this year; due in part to last year’s success, but sadly, that hope was misplaced. While there were some external circumstances that I couldn’t really have foreseen, my biggest stumbling block was inadequate preparation.
Last year I started November 1st with conflict boxes, clearly defined characters, and an outline for my story. I had a fairly good idea what needed to happen in the beginning, middle, and end, so I didn’t have to spend a lot of time wondering what should happen next. Even better, since I knew where I was heading, it was fairly easy to jump around and work on whatever scene had my attention at the time, rather than having to write sequentially in order to uncover the story. I wrote late at night, in the dark, and spent very little time looking back over what I had written.
Naturally, since that worked so well last year I did something completely different this year. (In hindsight, not my best decision.) Continue reading
It’s that time again! Time for my monthly (if belated) keepin’-it-real post about my writing progress. This time, we turn our attention to May, in which the writer does lots of career/publishing research-type things. I also had some important story/series breakthroughs and made solid progress on the writing front.
Marketing My Girls. Back in April, as I recalibrated my writing schedule and started pulling myself out of the writing doldrums to which I’d fallen prey during the first bleak months of 2015, I also knew it was time to start marketing My Girls. In April, I researched agents and ranked them based on those I thought would be the best fit for me and for my work. In May, I took the next step, submitting queries and partial manuscripts to the first several agents on my list. Nothing to report yet, positive or negative, but if I start to get rejections, I’ll move onto the next set of agents/agencies on my list. And I’ll have to do it, since it’s all on my marketing spreadsheet, and we all know the spreadsheet rules! Continue reading