I’ve got a really cool video that just provokes all sorts of ideas in my head for stories. So, if you need a little bit of inspiration, grab a pencil and some paper, and try this:
- Remember the rule is no self-editing. Jot down quick notes about what comes to you – edit your list later.
- You don’t HAVE to like robots in order to get ideas from the video. You can pretend they are real people, and see what comes to you. (But don’t deny the weirdo SFF ideas, either – they may spark new ideas in your later.
- Watch this video (“Do You Love Me?” Boston Dynamics, 2:54), and take notes:
- Aw, go on, watch it one more time and see what comes up.
- Any ideas that seem kind of cool, but you have no interest in exploring? Share them in the comments below so someone else can run with them! Kind of like the Poughkeepsie Idea Service!
So, I’m going to share some of the ideas that came to me during this video. It really was inspirational. (And if you want to run with them, go ahead! What you do with these seeds is going to be completely different from anything I do with these seeds.)
- Robots in Love. What would happen if we taught robots to love? Particularly, if we tried to program them with the commonsense “rules” that society tries to program into us? Would robots find themselves falling helplessly in love with the wrong robot, anyway? I haven’t read all of The Murderbot Diaries, but I feel the Law Of Unintended Side Effects of Programming would be strong in a story like this, just like for Murderbot.
- Engineers in love. Working on these robots make two human engineers discover each other, and fall madly in love! Very traditional take.
- Choreographer and a robot slowly fall in love. Bob Fosse vibes? Pygmalion vibes? Or just a plain ol’ love story based on mutual respect and a “crush” that’s based on someone’s mad skills turning into something deeper?
- So You Think Your Robot Can Dance? Contest. A bright, fizzy, melodramatic comedy of humans, semi-intelligent robots, choreographers, engineers, dog trainers and costume designers. A real Soap Opera of a Space Opera!
- The Robots and The Night Security. OK, this could be a simple body-guard style romance, where a robot falls in love with the watchwoman (or watchman) who guards him/her/them. And vice versa. Or, we could let the AI robots take the place of the Fair Folk, and have their own night parties (see Toy Story), and let the human security guard spy on the frolics and get caught up in the festivities . . . and be allowed three wishes. The story that vibes with this for me is the Japanese folk tale about the Two Men with Large Lumps on their Faces who spy on the frolicking ogres to very different results.
(Reading through the story again, it also suggests to me that a modern tie-in with a robotic Dr. Pimple Popper ((as seen on YouTube)) could be trendy and metaphoric.)
So, that’s five really fun ideas I could dive into this week. Or help yourself! Did you find anything juicy in the video?