It’s only two weeks since I posted my plan for the rest of the year, and I’ve already made a significant change. I sent off Alexis Book 1 to be edited, (yay!), but when I sat down to start work on the prequel, I realized that wasn’t the story I wanted to tell…not yet, anyway.
The prequel is the story of Alexis’s parents, Daire and Annis. It explains how Annis ends up running for her life, carrying little more than her unborn child and the most powerful jewel in the history of Caldermor. But, but, but… that story stems directly from Daire’s failure to secure the hand in marriage of a very different woman. All the characters from the debacle are major players in Alexis’s story, and I’ll need a novella to give away next year when I finally hit ‘publish,’ so I decided to write Kiran and Christal’s story now, and (hopefully) let the momentum carry Daire and me into the prequel.
I know where the novella is set (Darrochar, the kingdom adjoining Caldermor). I know how it ends, and I know the main characters. I’ve made a few pages of notes, but I need a playlist to really get my imagination working.
The story so far:
- One arranged political marriage;
- One clever, rich, handsome, spoiled princeling who’s too busy having a good time to stand up to his ambitious, power-mad mother;
- One elegant, clever princess, determined not to waste her life and talents on a golden loser.
- One scheming, murderous Princess Dowager (the mother-in-law from hell);
- One plainspoken, upstanding career soldier turned princely bodyguard-slash-advisor who’s wondering what the hell he’s let himself in for.
- Fighting (physical and metaphorical), in-fighting, hard truths told, harder lessons learned, risking all, expecting to lose all and (spoiler alert!) somehow the good guys emerge triumphant.
I’ll add to the list as I build up the story, but here’s my first stab at a few tunes:
You’re So Vain—Carly Simon
Gold—Spandau Ballet (he is very shiny)
Diamonds and Pearls–Prince
Mother-in-law from Hell
Evil Woman—Electric Light Orchestra
What a Waste—Ian Dury and the Blockheads
I Can’t Go for That—Hall & Oates
Say What You Want—Texas
Rebel, Rebel—David Bowie
Straightlaced Military Man
Ever Fallen In Love With (Someone You Shouldnt’ve)—Buzzcocks
Two Princes—Spin Doctors
Uptown Girl–Billy Joel
I know I’m missing lots of good ones, but I’ve been drawing a blank, and surfing lists on the interwebs hasn’t helped much yet.
Last time I put up a post asking for recommendations (for Alexis), I got some fantastic suggestions. I’ve been listening to that playlist for 18 months, and I’m still not tired of it. If you feel inclined to help me out again, I’d be thrilled!