I’m working on my NaNo word count for the day, hoping to keep my winning streak alive. What better way to kick off a writing session (and increase your word count) than with some Writing Sprints.
Since it’s been so successful in the past, let’s stretch our creativity with a few minutes of one of my favourites: Random Word Improv. (Check the posts here and here if you want to see some of the previous efforts) Last week’s words inspired some rather vivid responses, as would be expected from a word list that included “dismember” and “crimson.” We’ll have to see what kind of theme this week’s words inspire.
As a reminder, here’s how to play:
- Pick three words from the list of random words below (more if you’re feeling creative)
- Write the first line(s) of a story incorporating your words
- Post your results in the comments section.
- If you’re doing NaNo, bonus points for using the words in something you can include in your story
Here’s a list of random words from a randomly selected random word generator:
flirtation muscleman cosmic eyes
hump confidence fiend hibernation
hex impostor flammable crypt
feather rebel cattle perverted
arrows horseradish beach twisted
*whistling aimlessly while you are off being creative*
Ah, you’re back. Kind of fun, right? Can’t wait to see what you have come up with.
Now that you’re all warmed up, time to start sprinting.
As a reminder, the goal is to flex your writing skills and to jump start your creativity. It’s all about getting words on the page, not getting the perfect words on the page, so pull out that pen/paper, computer, or whatever your writing implements of choice are, and Write.
- Set a time period (i.e., 15 minutes)
- When you’re done, note your progress in the comments (i.e., “15 minutes and 394 words”)
- Rinse and repeat
I hope to see some fun creative efforts and good word counts in the comments to motivate my own efforts.
Happy writing to all.